On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Corne Beerse wrote:

> > > For X11 (unix/linux) based VNC servers, the effective maximum number of
> > > connections/sessions is limited tot 64, because the X11 protocol only
> > > allows
> > > display numbers 0 trough 63. There are even reports of less (up to 32).
> > >

> > Do you have any reference? As I said in a previous mail, in ThinLinc, we
> > support up to 2000 sessions per host.
> >

> My reference is the X11 specification. I do this by head, as I donnot have
it
> around in my current job. In my prevous job I frequently hit the port
number
> border. As far as I remember, this display 0 trough 63 is the minimum which
> must be supported by all software. Hence there can be software that cannot
> coop with display "yourhost:75".

Interesting. I cannot find anything about this limit in the X Window
System Protocol specification, though. Do you have any example of such
software?

> Does your ThinLink support these 2000 sessions all at the same time?
> or are
> there just 2000 configured to run? What kind of sessions are they? For
> vnc-sessions with dedicated programms, I can imagine they work. With 2000
Xvnc
> (X11) sessions I think that is a massive system... Just curious.

We support 2000 concurrent Xvnc sessions, although we haven't yet seen any
system large enough to handle them. We have tested up to something like
250 sessions or so, but the port number layout etc should be fine up to
2000.

Best regards,
---
Peter Cstrand          ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB               http://www.cendio.se
Wallenbergs gata 4
583 30 LinkC6ping       Phone: +46-13-21 46 00