I wish someone at VNC.org would actually produce a step by step. It took me
forever... and I mean months.

So here is one situation I explained to someone. Maybe this will help for a
small home network.

Barry,

you may do this with the automatic IP (called DHCP - Dynamic Host
Configuration Protocal). However, if the other person is connecting to
you, they go to the server and enter the IP address you tell them. The
address may be obtained using Firefox browser addon called MYIP or by
going to the web site http://www.checkip.com/. Give them the address to
enter into their VNC Server-Add new client.

A second way to to this is to get a fixed IP address through a free
service such as http://www.dyndns.com/

Here is an example of set ups I have sent to others.

Hi Dale,

Many thanks for your email.  I am now up and running :)

All the best

Mark