This was discussed some time ago, when the DesktopName pseudo encoding was
added. From
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.vnc.user/28362/focus=28392:

>In practice desktop names are currently ASCII-only, but new standard RFB
>protocol elements all use UTF-8 for string data.  I'd recommend that
>third-party encodings, etc also use UTF-8 for string data for
>consistency.
>
>Cheers,
>
>--
>Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

If I interpret Wez correctly, "new standard RFB protocol" means RFB 4.0.
As far as I know, this specification is not yet available, though.

UTF-8 support would certainly be nice to have, but just switching to UTF-8
over VNC would break compatibility with older implementations. However, I
guess a simple negotiation could be used, to agree on UTF-8 for all
strings that are currently defined as Latin1.

Best regards,
Peter Estrand

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center wrote:

> Any plans?
>

> Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center-san wrote (01/14/09 06:18 PM):
>> Hi,
>>
>> I downloaded http://www.realvnc.com/docs/rfbproto.pdf
>>
>> 6.4.6 ClientCutText
>> The client has new ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1) text in its cut buffer. Ends of
lines
>> are repre-
>> sented by the linefeed / newline character (value 10) alone. No
carriage-return
>> (value
>> 13) is needed. There is currently no way to transfer text outside the
Latin-1
>> character
>> set.
>>

>> However many desktop applications(e.g. GTK) can use the freedesktop
specification and we can copy & paste multi-byte chars(UTF-8 and the current
>> encodings.).
>> http://standards.freedesktop.org/clipboards-spec/clipboards-0.1.txt
>>
>> Are there any plans to update the RFB specification for UTF-8 multi-byte
chars?
>> I think working with UTF-8 can support lots of languages.
>> I'd like to think if an application sends UTF-8 strings, it doesn't break
the RFB specification.
>> If UTF-8 is ok with UTF_8 atom, we also can support none UTF-8 users to
convert to the current encoding with iconv.

>> Thanks,
>> fujiwara

---
Peter Estrand           ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB               http://www.cendio.com
Wallenbergs gata 4
583 30 Linkvping        Phone: +46-13-21 46 00