On 10/5/15 8:16 AM, Erick Bergquist wrote:
Hello,

Just trying to get idea of what is normal on what providers should
return for a misdial, bad unknown number, etc.

On one provider, I get a CANCEL and a 487 Request Terminated on mis-dials.

On another provider, I get a 503 Service Unavailable and a 500
Internal Service Error back.

It depends. CANCEL and 487 Request Terminated typically comes from the originator and means that you hung up before the call completed. Carrier was in post-dial delay and hadn't returned anything (yet).

503 means that the carrier can't or won't process the call. Could be a misdial where the number can't be parsed as in not enough or too many digits, prefix starts with 1 or 0, etc. Could also be that you tried to dial a valid number that the carrier doesn't handle, such as international, 900/976, etc. Could also mean that you didn't pay your bill or are coming from an IP address that isn't a customer of that carrier.

For a number that is in the correct format but isn't in service, you might see 503 or also 404 or 604.

500 internal service error is usually a technical problem with the carrier and not a misdial.

Different carriers map ISDN/SS7 cause codes to SIP differently. See:

https://www.google.com/search?q=isdn+cause+code+to+sip+mapping

--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - j...@impulse.net