On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Alex Balashov
<abalas...@evaristesys.com> wrote:
> That said, it is baffling to me that phones accept INVITEs unchallenged from
> anywhere but $REGISTRAR_IP/$OUTBOUND_PROXY_IP.

^This.

Challenge to INVITE should mitigate scanners, and challenge to BYE
should mitigate that particular targeted attack. The problem remains
that your endpoints receive and process those packets, leaving them
vulnerable still to other attacks.

Sharing my experience: with our own managed hardware we can use ACLs
both in the firewall and/or the SIP proxy/ALG/B2BUA/whatever; when all
messaging is relayed through your known proxy then there is no reason
to accept SIP globally.

With customer provided routers your mileage will vary. Consumer grade
devices can be helped sometimes by toggling the SIP ALG from its
current setting, whether that's On or Off. For some devices our only
recourse has been to suggest the customer change the NAT policy to
something more restrictive, knowing it might break other services, or
consider a firmware upgrade or downgrade to a version that provides
the needed security, or replace the device with something more
cooperative.

Higher classes of hardware may have sufficient SIP features (ALG,
transparent proxy, etc.) to lock down the REGISTER dialog NAT mappings
while leaving the non-SIP mappings full-cone/unrestricted. How this
can be done on Brand C routers falls outside of my own experience.

It's also worth checking if the affected devices have their own
options for only accepting requests from the registration domain or
other configured proxy, in cases when the router cannot help and you
don't want to use nonce challenges.

Regards,

Calvin Ellison
Voice Services Engineer