If both carriers have a good business relationship and are willing to write matching orders in the NPAC (winning carrier makes the subscriptions, the losing carrier submits concurrence) you can port numbers in literally seconds.

But we're not required to do things that fast so it rarely happens. Why move fast to let our customers leave when we can legally take our time and spend a couple days collecting more revenue from them?

-Paul
(DEFINITELY not speaking on behalf of my employer!)

On 02/09/2016 04:24 PM, Adam Vocks wrote:

Our landline ports are instantaneous. (Or so we think.) It’s always been that way for us. I didn’t know there was any other way.

Adam

*From:*VoiceOps [mailto:voiceops-boun...@voiceops.org] *On Behalf Of *Colton Conor
*Sent:* Tuesday, February 9, 2016 2:52 PM
*To:* voiceops@voiceops.org
*Subject:* [VoiceOps] Instant Porting

How do cellular carriers perform almost instant porting of number, and why can't landline providers do the same? For example if I take my Sprint cell phone to an AT&T store, and switch over to AT&T they can do this almost instantly.

I met someone one time at a tradeshow claiming they could do same day porting for landline numbers just as the cellular industry did, but I was not sure how he was doing it or if it was a myth.

I know cell systems are more automated and require a pin.