On 10/23/18 7:36 PM, Andrew Haninger wrote:
(This time to the group. Sorry for the dupe, Carlos.)

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018, 19:22 Carlos Alvarez <caalva...@gmail.com <mailto:caalva...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Is anyone doing this yet?  The ability to detect the location of a
    phone and automatically update the 911 address?  Yes, I realize it's
    a difficult if not impossible thing, yet thought I'd ask since a
    customer asked me.

The Skype for Business system does this where I work. It uses the location of the nearest AP or the location recorded for the jack you're using if you're wired. If neither are available, the SfB application asks the user to enter their location.

The analog phones we're switching from only update when an order is processed, but then customers generally have to put in a request for us to do a MAC order. The local PSAP will report to us if they get a 911 call with incorrect name or location info.

It's not fool proof and there is plenty of room for errors, but it's not too bad, either.

Andt

The best approach I saw was in a research demo at cluecon:

https://youtu.be/A8i2psbeYT4

We're still not there in most aspects because either (a) you need to constantly enter and verify information or (b) information will not be up to date.

--fred