My experience of this in connection with various customers is that it’s just
UDP fragments. Doesn’t appear to let up in response to a lack of stimuli (i.e.
blocking ICMP unreachable responses from going back out doesn’t help), and
doesn’t seem aimed at SIP / RTP services specifically in any discernible way.

Could be different elsewhere.

— Alex

> On Sep 27, 2021, at 5:21 PM, Ryan Delgrosso <ryandelgro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Do we know this is a SIP/RTP targeted volumetric attack and those arent just
> collateral damage in a more plebian attack aimed ad portals/apis or routers?
>
> I can understand them being tight lipped but some transparency helps the
> situation.
>
> I wonder if DHS is involved yet?
>
> On 9/27/2021 1:48 PM, Jay Hennigan via VoiceOps wrote:
>> On 9/27/21 13:30, Darren via VoiceOps wrote:
>>> I know it’s hard to be patient but I can’t imagine they’re NOT all hands on
>>> deck.
>>>
>>> The reality is probably that the DDoS attack is now so big, they can’t
>>> handle it on their own, so they’re scrambling to contract out with another
>>> provider who can handle it. That would explain why the BGP routes they
>>> advertise have shifted. These DDoS products typically take weeks to setup,
>>> so they’re likely having to scramble. I’ll be surprised if this does NOT
>>> continue tomorrow (unfortunately).
>>
>> From my understanding this is not your typical volumetric DDoS but something
>> specific to SIP or VoIP and thus the typical scrubbing services aren't going
>> to be effective against the voice side of things.
>>
>> Obviously they are keeping things close to the vest in order not to give too
>> much information to the bad guys but I agree that it may take some time to
>> resolve.
>>
>>> *From: *VoiceOps <voiceops-boun...@voiceops.org> on behalf of Carlos
>>> Alvarez <caalva...@gmail.com>
>>> *Date: *Monday, September 27, 2021 at 1:23 PM
>>
>>> Generic SIP client here, and the ongoing "continue to investigate" notices
>>> are infuriatingly like "we have no damn clue what we're doing."  Try
>>> explaining to customers why it's not "our fault*" and that there's no way
>>> to estimate a repair time.
>>
>> I think the ongoing "continue to investigate" messages are fine. They're
>> obviously dealing with a major incident and trying their best to keep their
>> customers informed. This IMHO beats silence.
>>
>>> *Our fault for choosing them I guess, but not something we can fix in
>>> minutes.
>>
>> The same thing could and has affected others. Voip.ms has been dealing with
>> a similar attack for at least a week. We've had excellent service from
>> Bandwidth for years and I trust that they will be able to get through this
>> as well as anyone.
>>
>> It's the nature of the legacy PSTN that redundant providers or fast failover
>> for inbound calling isn't (yet) a thing.

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)