Hello,

  It is our practice to release numbers back to the original carrier when a
customer cancels service and doesn’t port the number away.   We have some
residential customers that want to cancel service over the winter and have us
retain the number so they can re-use it in the spring.   I’m trying to find
some FCC or NANPA documentation that says we are/aren’t allowed to do that for
a customer.   Ultimately we will probably convert the customer from their
FTTH/ONT voice to a soft phone voice during the off-season, that way they are
still a customer and still paying for service.   I don’t want to just camp on
numbers and have to maintain the inventory.

Anyone have any documentation on the correct way to handle disconnected numbers?

-Matt