Posted by Todd Zywicki:
Public Sectoring Crowding Out Private Charity:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2005_06_12-2005_06_18.shtml#1118836958

   I just came across [1]this paper by Gruber and Hungerman on crowding
   out of private sector charity by government spending. (Its an NBER
   paper, so not everyone may be able to get it). I always thought that
   Putnam's response in Bowling Alone to the "crowding out" effect of
   government services displacing civil society institutions was an
   especially weak part of his argument (although there are plenty of
   other weak points as well).

   As David Beito showed in his superb book [2]From Mutual Aid to the
   Welfare State, "intermediary"/"civil society" institutions provided
   many of the basic social services that the welfare state has
   displaced. If Putnam is correct about the decline of social capital (a
   questionable proposition itself), part of this may be because of
   government crowding out of these social services. Once these groups
   stop offering medical and insurance services, then all they are is a
   place to drink beer, in which case they are competing with television
   and other forms of entertainment. Putnam, I think, fails to appreciate
   that the generation of social capital from these groups is a positive
   externality of the provision of these private benefits, and that
   without the private benefits, the economic structure of the groups
   break down. People stay home and watch tv, or go out to restaurants
   privately, rather than coming together in these groups.

   Here's the abstract from Gruber and Hungerman: Abstract:

     Interest in religious organizations as providers of social services
     has increased dramatically in recent years. Churches in the U.S.
     were a crucial provider of social services through the early part
     of the twentieth century, but their role shrank dramatically with
     the expansion in government spending under the New Deal. In this
     paper, we investigate the extent to which the New Deal crowded out
     church charitable spending in the 1930s. We do so using a new
     nationwide data set of charitable spending for six large Christian
     denominations, matched to data on local New Deal spending. We
     instrument for New Deal spending using measures of the political
     strength of a state's congressional delegation, and confirm our
     findings using a different instrument based on institutional
     constraints on state relief spending. With both instruments we find
     that higher government spending leads to lower church charitable
     activity. Crowd-out was small as a share of total New Deal spending
     (3%), but large as a share of church spending: our estimates
     suggest that church spending fell by 30% in response to the New
     Deal, and that government relief spending can explain virtually all
     of the decline in charitable church activity observed between 1933
     and 1939.