Posted by Jim Lindgren:
Madoff Warning Signs.
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_01_04-2009_01_10.shtml#1231179881

   Apparently, there were many red flags that might have tipped people
   off to Bernie Madoff�s fraud. Yet despite eight SEC investigations in
   the last sixteen years, he was not caught.

   I wonder how many other large hedge funds or investment advisers have
   some of these:
    1. A huge business audited by a tiny accounting firm.
    2. The same firm acting as adviser, manager, custodian, and clearing
       agent.
    3. No fees charged for managing money (only for trading).
    4. Even 10%-20% returns every year.
    5. Over 90% profitable quarters.
    6. Large political donations. Note that while most big donors are not
       crooks, almost all big frauds are big donors: Enron, Worldcom,
       Fannie Mae, Madoff.

   I haven�t seen hedge fund historical information online, but I wonder
   how many existing hedge funds have been profitable every year and
   almost every quarter.

   Are any of these returns remarkably consistent as well? Inquiring
   minds want to know.