Posted by Jonathan Adler:
A Celebrity SG:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_01_04-2009_01_10.shtml#1231290658

   President-elect [1]Obama wants Dr. Sanjay Gupta of CNN and CBS News to
   be the next Surgeon General. [What? You thought this post was about
   the other SG?] According to Obama, Gupta "could be the highest-profile
   surgeon general in history and would have an expanded role in
   providing health policy advice," according to the Washington Post's
   sources. I'm sure Gupta is suitably qualified for the post. As
   [2]Yuval Levin notes, it has been some time since the Surgeon General
   has been more than a glorified, uniformed spokesperson for government
   medical authorities, our own Nanny-in-Chief.