Posted by Orin Kerr:
Who Was President from 12:00 to 12:10?:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_01_18-2009_01_24.shtml#1232483177

   [1]Howard Wasserman asks the question. I haven't looked closely at the
   issue, but I would think the answer is that Obama was President at
   noon under Section 1 of the 20th Amendment:

     The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on
     the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and
     Representatives at noon on the 3d day of January, of the years in
     which such terms would have ended if this article had not been
     ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.

   It is true that Article II, Section 1 states the following:

     Before he enter on the execution of his office, he shall take the
     following oath or affirmation:--"I do solemnly swear (or affirm)
     that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the
     United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve,
     protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

   The question is, does Article II, Section 1 impose a condition on
   becoming President, or is it a constitutional duty that a person who
   has already become President must satisfy before he exercizes the
   executive power? As a textual matter, I would think the latter: Obama
   became the President at noon, but he was supposed to (and did) take
   the oath before exercising his executive duties. That's my initial
   sense of it, at least.