Posted by David Post:
Inauguration Tidbits:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_01_18-2009_01_24.shtml#1232489415

   Just got home from watching the Inauguration down at the federal
   courthouse, and lemme tell you all -- it was F**ing cold out there!!

   Putting aside the [1]oath kerfuffle, I thought it was a pretty
   stirring event. [2]Obama's speech was terrific -- perhaps not
   Lincoln's Second, or Jefferson's First, in terms of soaring oratory,
   but a wonderfully crafted speech full of very beautifully-turned
   phrases. My favorites:

     The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our
     better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble
     idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given
     promise that all are equal, all are free and all deserve a chance
     to pursue their full measure of happiness.

   A nice conflation of Jefferson's "all men are created equal" and "the
   pursuit of happiness" with Lincoln's "the last full measure of
   devotion" from the Gettysburg Address.

   And I also liked:

     "To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the
     silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of
     history; but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to
     unclench your fist."

   A good collection of linked metaphors -- the clinging to power, the
   clenched first, the open hand of friendship. Nice.