Posted by David Bernstein:
Obama to Republicans on Stimulus Package: I Won:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_01_18-2009_01_24.shtml#1232821591

   True, but Obama won by, among other things, promising a net decrease
   in federal spending. Here he is during the third debate: "what I've
   done throughout this campaign is to propose a net spending cut....
   What I want to emphasize ... is that I have been a strong proponent of
   pay-as-you-go. Every dollar that I've proposed, I've proposed an
   additional cut so that it matches."

   Obama would have a much better case for Republican deference to his
   spending plans if he had actually campaigned in favor of the most
   massive increase in federal spending, ever, instead of as a
   budget-cutter.