Posted by Ilya Somin:
Legal Writing Job Candidate Files Lawsuit Claiming that She Was Rejected by the
University of Iowa Law School  because of her conservative views:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_01_25-2009_01_31.shtml#1233012244

   Carolyn Jones has [1]filed a lawsuit claiming that her application to
   become a legal writing instructor at the University of Iowa Law School
   was rejected because of her conservative political views. Press
   accounts say that she is arguing that denial of this kind of job on
   ideological grounds violates the First Amendment.

   I personally don't believe that ideological discrimination in
   government hiring violates the Constitution. Quite often, "personnel
   is policy," and both conservative and liberal administrations have a
   legitimate need to hire people who are ideologically committed to
   carrying out their policies.

   There is, in my view, far less justification for ideological
   discrimination faculty hiring at state universities. After all,
   universities need ideological diversity in order to further
   intellectual inquiry and debate. Still, I think there are [2]rare
   circumstances when a professor's ideology can legitimately be
   considered in faculty hiring.

   Be that as it may, I don't believe that universities that engage in
   more ideological discrimination than I would approve of violate the
   Constitution. Government involvement in ideologically-driven
   curriculum and hiring decisions is[3] an inevitable result of having
   public schools and universities in the first place. Some of this
   discrimination is ill-advised and unfair. But that doesn't make it
   unconstitutional.