Posted by Orin Kerr:
NY Times Needs a New Columnist:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_01_25-2009_01_31.shtml#1233088731

   So you do you think should [1]replace William Kristol? If I were at
   the Times, I would hire five columnists instead of one -- paying them
   very little, because hey, they're getting terrific exposure -- and
   promise them that their columns would be posted on the Times website
   and then considered for inclusion in the paper version. I would then
   pick the best column written that week for inclusion in the paper
   version. Over time, a great columnist might emerge from the pack. And
   even if no great columnist emerges, at least you would avoid the
   problem of columnists who have the gig and are just coasting.