Posted by Eugene Volokh:
U.K. Prime Minister Gordon Brown Apologizes for Conviction of Alan Turing:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_09_06-2009_09_12.shtml#1252697088

   The [1]statement:

     2009 has been a year of deep reflection - a chance for Britain, as
     a nation, to commemorate the profound debts we owe to those who
     came before. A unique combination of anniversaries and events have
     stirred in us that sense of pride and gratitude which characterise
     the British experience. Earlier this year I stood with Presidents
     Sarkozy and Obama to honour the service and the sacrifice of the
     heroes who stormed the beaches of Normandy 65 years ago. And just
     last week, we marked the 70 years which have passed since the
     British government declared its willingness to take up arms against
     Fascism and declared the outbreak of World War Two. So I am both
     pleased and proud that, thanks to a coalition of computer
     scientists, historians and LGBT activists, we have this year a
     chance to mark and celebrate another contribution to Britain�s
     fight against the darkness of dictatorship; that of code-breaker
     Alan Turing.

     Turing was a quite brilliant mathematician, most famous for his
     work on breaking the German Enigma codes. It is no exaggeration to
     say that, without his outstanding contribution, the history of
     World War Two could well have been very different. He truly was one
     of those individuals we can point to whose unique contribution
     helped to turn the tide of war. The debt of gratitude he is owed
     makes it all the more horrifying, therefore, that he was treated so
     inhumanely. In 1952, he was convicted of �gross indecency� -- in
     effect, tried for being gay. His sentence -- and he was faced with
     the miserable choice of this or prison -- was chemical castration
     by a series of injections of female hormones. He took his own life
     just two years later.

     Thousands of people have come together to demand justice for Alan
     Turing and recognition of the appalling way he was treated. While
     Turing was dealt with under the law of the time and we can�t put
     the clock back, his treatment was of course utterly unfair and I am
     pleased to have the chance to say how deeply sorry I and we all are
     for what happened to him. Alan and the many thousands of other gay
     men who were convicted as he was convicted under homophobic laws
     were treated terribly. Over the years millions more lived in fear
     of conviction.

     I am proud that those days are gone and that in the last 12 years
     this government has done so much to make life fairer and more equal
     for our LGBT community. This recognition of Alan�s status as one of
     Britain�s most famous victims of homophobia is another step towards
     equality and long overdue.

     But even more than that, Alan deserves recognition for his
     contribution to humankind. For those of us born after 1945, into a
     Europe which is united, democratic and at peace, it is hard to
     imagine that our continent was once the theatre of mankind�s
     darkest hour. It is difficult to believe that in living memory,
     people could become so consumed by hate -- by anti-Semitism, by
     homophobia, by xenophobia and other murderous prejudices -- that
     the gas chambers and crematoria became a piece of the European
     landscape as surely as the galleries and universities and concert
     halls which had marked out the European civilisation for hundreds
     of years. It is thanks to men and women who were totally committed
     to fighting fascism, people like Alan Turing, that the horrors of
     the Holocaust and of total war are part of Europe�s history and not
     Europe�s present.

     So on behalf of the British government, and all those who live
     freely thanks to Alan�s work I am very proud to say: we�re sorry,
     you deserved so much better.

   [2]George Pullum (Language Log) elaborates:

     Turing did indeed deserve so much better. He created modern
     theoretical computer science; opened fundamental new areas of
     mathematical logic; made very important contributions to other
     areas of mathematics (e.g., the technique known as Good-Turing
     frequency estimation in statistics); and most importantly, he gave
     up his academic work during the Second World War to work at
     Bletchley Park on the extremely difficult task of decrypting German
     communications encrypted with the Enigma machine. The Bletchley
     Park team did succeed, and thus the Royal Navy became able to read
     the content of all the Nazis' messages to U-boats in the North
     Atlantic. It was a crucial turning point in the war. But a mere
     seven years later, a young man shared Turing's bed for the night in
     Manchester, and later helped someone burgle the house, and Turing
     naively reported the theft to the police. The police reaction was
     to arrest Turing, because they guessed what had been going on.
     "Gross indecency" was the charge (it is the British legal euphemism
     for cocksucking). Turing had a choice between serving prison time
     or agreeing to chemical castration, a medicalized "cure" for his
     presumed abnormality. He bore the latter for two years and then
     took cyanide. The way British mid-20th-century sex law drove him to
     suicide was genuinely something for the country to be ashamed of.
     It was good to see the official apology (which hundreds of eminent
     scientists had asked the Prime Minister to express).

   Plus, as Pullum says, "That's how to say it ...: not a bunch of
   evasive mumbling about how unfortunate it all was, but a simple 'We're
   sorry.'"