Posted by David Bernstein:
How Cavalier was Yale About Security:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_09_13-2009_09_19.shtml#1252945153

   I'm saddened to read about the apparent murder of a Yale Medical
   student. It reminds me that when I was at Yale, I found the university
   to be incredibly cavalier about security. I spent 5 semesters living
   in the law school dorm, and therefore walking around the immediate
   campus area. In that entire time, I saw exactly one police car
   patrolling one time. By contrast, when I attended Brandeis as an
   undergraduate and lived on campus, I saw campus police patrolling our
   much safer campus all the time.

   After a law student's face was slashed right in front of the law
   school my first year there, Yale hired a security guard to sit inside
   the law school building at night. Most of the time he was asleep. This
   was literally the only security I ever saw in the entire law school
   campus.

   I've visited the campus several times since then, and security seems
   vastly improved (from a very low threshold) following several tragic
   incidents involving Yale students. But given my experiences there, I
   wouldn't be surprised if security nevertheless remains inadequate.