Posted by Orin Kerr:
Rational Basis and Constitutional Line Drawing in the Same-Sex Marriage Debate:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_09_13-2009_09_19.shtml#1251839249

   I am not an expert in the constitutional debate on same-sex marriage,
   but I was thinking recently about the relationship between the
   rational basis test and the need for line-drawing, and how that might
   impact the constitutional arguments in the same-sex marriage debate.
   My pondering led me to a tentative argument that I haven't seen
   directly in the opinions I've read, so I wanted to offer it up and see
   what folks think. Here's the argument: When the state takes on the
   task of defining who should receive a government benefit, and that
   definition requires a great deal of complicated linedrawing, it is
   presumptively rational for a legislature to draw lines in ways that
   match traditions or common contemporary practices. As the amount of
   required linedrawing increases, and it becomes harder to justify one
   specific line over another, it becomes rational for a legislature to
   simply mirror the status quo rather than craft a new approach.
     I was thinking about this in the context of the same-sex marriage
   debate because state recognition of marriage seems to require a lot of
   linedrawing. It is widely agreed that the state has to impose limits
   on the number of people who can get married (2? 3? more?), the age of
   the couples (with or without parental consent), consanguinity (whether
   cousins can marry), etc. It can be hard to justify the exact lines
   that get drawn. For example, [1]in many states, couples can get
   married at 18 without their parents' consent but 16 with their
   parents' consent. The exact line here seems pretty arbitrary. Why 18
   years, and not 17 years and 323 days? Why 16 years if a parent
   consents, and not 16 years, 4 months, and 19.5 seconds? No matter who
   draws the lines required to define marriage, some parts of the
   definition are going to be rather arbitrary.
     My claim -- albeit only a very tentative claim, as this isn't my
   area and I haven't looked closely at the cases -- is that the fact
   that some line needs to be drawn, and the legislature unimaginatively
   drew it in some relatively traditional way, itself helps provide a
   rational basis for the legislature's approach. It seems sensible for a
   state legislature tasked with all the line-drawing of defining
   marriage to stick with the common answers to the problem. Put another
   way, deference to preexisting practices in areas that require
   complicated line-drawing is a sensible default even if we lack a clear
   argument for why those preexisting practices are normatively
   preferable to other ways of drawing the lines.
     Again, consider the case of age. Drawing the line at 16 instead of
   16 years, 4 months, and 19.5 seconds isn't rational because we think
   the age of 16 is actually better. Rather, it's rational because some
   line is needed and there is a tradition of using integer years since
   birth as a yardstick for entitlement to government benefits that we
   rationally confer based on age. (It might also be rational because it
   is easier to calculate, but I think the point stands.)
     In the context of the same-sex marriage debate, then, it seems to me
   that the need to draw lines and the traditional limitation of marriage
   to opposing sex couples itself helps provide a rational basis for
   using the traditional definition of marriage as between a man and a
   woman. A legislature trying to answer the many questions and
   line-drawing exercises required by any definition of marriage could
   reasonably adopt the traditional way of doing things rather than have
   to justify new lines. Adopting the traditional definition in the face
   of the significant uncertainty of the best way to draw all the lines
   required by state recognition of marriage becomes a reasonable means
   -- perhaps not the best means, but a reasonable means -- of achieving
   the legitimate state interest of all the traditional benefits of the
   institution of marriage.
     Two caveats apply. First, this argument is only in play if the
   constitutional standard is mere rational basis scrutiny. If you
   believe that heightened scrutiny should apply, I don't think this
   argument is relevant. Second, I should emphasize that this is a
   constitutional argument, not a policy argument. From a standpoint of
   policy, I am in favor of laws permitting same-sex marriage. The
   constitutional question is not whether I favor the law, however, but
   only whether such a definition of marriage is a reasonable means of
   achieving a legitimate government interest.
     Anyway, that's my tentative argument. I'm interested in your