Posted by Orin Kerr:
Does it Violate a Person's Fourth Amendment Rights to Wrongfully Issue an
Arrest Warrant That is Never Executed?:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_09_20-2009_09_26.shtml#1253674921

   The [1]BLT has an interesting report on a case in the DC Circuit that
   raises a fascinating Fourth Amendment issue: Does it violate a
   person's Fourth Amendment rights if the government wrongfully obtains
   an arrest warrant authorizing the person's arrest if the warrant is
   quickly withdrawn and never actually executed? More specifically, if
   the person claims that the existence of the unlawful arrest warrant
   caused him harm, can he recover damages under the Fourth Amendment
   even though he was never searched or seized?
     It's an interesting question, and off the top of my head, I don't
   think I have heard of another case quite like it. On one hand, the
   plain text of the Fourth Amendment prohibits the issuance of a warrant
   not based on probable cause and not sufficiently particular: That
   seems to focus attention on the issuance of the warrant. On the other
   hand, modern Fourth Amendment doctrine generally holds that the Fourth
   Amendment only regulates searches and seizures, and there was no
   search or seizure here.
     Perhaps the most analogous case is [2]Groh v. Ramirez, a case
   involving the execution of a warrant that was later discovered to be
   defective. The police obtained the warrant, but in the place of the
   warrant where the agent was supposed to type in the items to be
   seized, he accidentally typed in the place to be searched. It seems
   that no one noticed the error until after the search was executed:
   Notably, the affidavit and application both contained particular
   descriptions of the items to be seized, and the warrant was actually
   executed in a reasonable way. In a 5-4 decision, the Court held that
   the Fourth Amendment was violated and that the officer who obtained
   and executed the warrant could be held personally liable because the
   search was not accompanied by a valid warrant.
     I 'm not sure which way Groh cuts. On one hand, the opinion suggests
   that the harm was the search of the plaintiff's home without the
   required warrant. According to the Court, the lack of a valid warrant
   transformed the search into an unlawful warrantless search, which
   violated the Fourth Amendment. If you take that view, the Fourth
   Amendment violation would seem to be the search, not the issuance of
   the warrant. On the other hand, Groh doesn't necessarily rule out
   liability for the mere issuance of the unlawful warrant. Plus, the
   actual search was performed in the same way as it would have been
   performed had the warrant been constitutional: No one knew the warrant
   was bad until the next day. In light of that, it seems a little
   strange to say that the unconstitutionality was in the search rather
   than the warrant.
     Anyway, I don't have strong views one way or the other on the merits
   of this one, but I thought readers would find it interesting.