From visual inspection, the filaments in these
vacuu-fluroescent displays look like bare wire,
which would make them some sort of doped tungsten
alloy.. which doesn't really ever wear out.

The only problems I have ever seen is due to
phosphor fatigue.  The display stops glowing
on whichever digit is on all the time... and
you see this as unequal brightness between the
digits.

I have never seen a vacuum fluorescent display
just fade away in any reasonable time.  They
seem to go for years and years.  I have alarm
clocks and ovens, and microwaves with these
displays some of which have been glowing for
around 40 years now, and still going strong.

I have seen vacuu-fluorescent displays that
have gone dark, and found that the reason is
the filament supply has quit...usually due to
a bad electrolytic capacitor.

-Chuck Harris

Don@True-Cal wrote:
The 3458A DISP? command, rather entered from the front panel or via a GPIB Command is
not adequately discussed in the User's Manual IMO. There are four numeric values 0,1,2
& 3 plus the ability to enter a string value as mentioned below. All four values
are supported via the GPIB, but only 0,1 &2 are valid modes for the front panel
DISP? command - the front panel DISP? 3 seems to be accepted and interpreted the same
as DISP? 1 (On). The value 0 (Off) seems somewhat pointless and simply places dashes
across the display. The value 1 (On) is the default and normal mode. The value 2 (Msg)
displays control messages only. These three modes would obviously offer no help to
prolonging display life since the display filament would need to remain on. The
interesting DISP? 3 (Clr) is the one in question rather is removes power to the display
filament providing some help for display life. I'm not sure without actually getting
inside and testing if filament voltage is present or not. Checking t
   schematics for a display filament voltage interrupter might also be a clue,
but would still be firmware dependent. I use Agilent VEE for 3458A control and
plotting and have provided a dynamic display control using DISP? 0-3 modes and
I often leave the display in mode 3 (Clr) for long plot cycles (sometimes
weeks). In this mode, the display is completely blank, including no enunciator
(sampling) indicators at all. My hope is that the display filaments are off.
Anyone know for sure?

Don