Yes, the input DC bias current can be compensated for, as long as it doesn't change too quickly, or isn't too big to make the input amplifier circuits run out of dynamic range. In a digital meter environment, all sorts of auto-zeroing and multi-sloping things and digital signal processing can be going on to correct for various device and circuit limitations, which would have been very difficult or impossible in the old analog machines.

Even in analog, some correction can be implemented fairly easily. A lot of the old Keithley electrometers have controls called "zero suppression," which can effectively offset the bias current, or even much larger amounts up to hundreds of full-spans, for certain applications. It's not quite the same as having true zero bias current - you still have to be aware of the effects and the compensation settings, depending on the measurement.

I modified my Keithley 417 by replacing the original zero suppression last digit fine adjust pot with a ten turn helipot and kilodial knob, which provides higher resolution. I can dial in the 17 fA bias current offset directly. When I eventually get around to washing and silicone coating the electrometer tube, I expect to get it down to around 2-5 fA.

My Kethley 410 electrometer doesn't have zero suppression - just a "zero" knob to set the input offset voltage over a small range to zero the meter. I added a bias nulling circuit which adds a small variable offset voltage superimposed on the output signal to the highest feedback resistor (E11 ohms) , with an optocoupler in PV mode. The effective bias current can be set to zero on the last two or three most sensitive ranges. On the other ranges, it doesn't matter since the effect is so small.

Ed