On 2 March 2018 at 09:22, Andre <an...@lanoe.net> wrote:

> Maybe one bad resistor? I've read that tin whiskering can occur even on
> relatively recent equipment, slower than lead free but still a problem.
> I'd do a visual inspection just to see, shouldn't be an issue.
> -A

An issue with fingerprints would not totally surprise me. It is obvious the
seller had multiple meters, which were sent to a lab, which I am suspicious
of*. The seller said the lab would have swapped pieces between units to try
to get one working. He had at least 3.

1) My one, which has a recent(ish) Agilent serial number, and Agilent
written on the back, but an HP front panel.

2) Another which has HP on the back, but an Agilent front panel.

3) Another said to be working.

* I consider is lab suspicious, the fact mine was sold as having no output,
yet there was output, and it was within spec. It could be an intermittent
fault of course.

So its almost certain bits have been swapped between different units.

It is is finger prints, what would be the best way to remove them? I see
some say IPA, but others have said that can disolve solder resist.

I once had a Sun workstation which had one of the covers missing of the
back where sbus expansion cards

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SBus

were supposed to be put. This was stored in the garage. Some mice decided
this Sun would make a nice home, and used it as a toilet! Needles to say
the board was covered in what mice excrete. After various attempts to get
it back to life, an hour or so in the bath with plain tap water did work.
But of course very low currents of the 4339B would prevent different
challenges to a digital board, where signals are either 0 or 1. But whilst
the 4339B may not be free of finger prints, it has not been used as a mouse
loo. So if it does require cleaning, it should be fairly modest, but I have
no idea what to use.

I buy a IPA on eBay for cleaning, which is claimed to be 99.9% pure, but I
doubt it is really that pure, so if IPA was used, I would buy from a proper
chemical supplier.

Dave