There are (at least) a couple different kind: two-lead meters and
three-lead meters. The two-lead kind use the same voltage for power as the
voltage they’re measuring. They can measure only positive voltages above
some minimum amount.

I checked one of my three-lead meters measuring a 10-Volt Standard. It uses
a power supply voltage between 3.5 and 30 Volts and can measure 0.000 to
33.000 Volts. I guess it therefore can be called a 5-digit Voltmeter.
However, it cannot measure negative Volts so I was wrong. My apologies! I
would post a photograph but can’t find a reference to whether that is
allowed.

--
Jeremy Nichols
Sent from my iPad 6.