Alan,

This is interesting, and we should encourage Chuck to replicate his finding
in the modern context - using Celani's experiment as a guide, and with
datalogging. It is too simple not to pursue, but anyone trying it should be
aware that graphite electrodes will produce excess heat on their own
(chemically) by first reducing and then oxidizing the carbon if enough
voltage is present. See:

http://bingofuel.online.fr/bingofuel/html/bfr10.htm

But since Chuck says that the heating effect ONLY happened with the coin,
and not with other electrodes and at low voltage - then that "lack of" is
exactly the factor which makes this anecdote interesting. Using the nickel
coin as anode for electrolysis would tend to oxidize the copper to copper
oxide. This is essentially what Celani does, with heat treatment of
Constantan. Coincidence?

However, in electrolysis - copper oxidation would tend to electrically
insulate the anode skin so that it would not pass as much current. The fact
that the anode got very hot would at first seem to be a function of
oxidation, except that again, this would not explain why his copper anode
did not do the same. IOW- the mundane discovery of possible electrode redox
"contributions" may not explain-away a potential thermal anomaly, assuming
that one exists.

Taken at face value, then - there could be a valid and very basic LENR
anomaly here, but like so many anecdotes of this kind - which were not
carefully documented at the time, it impossible for us to be sure in
retrospect.

If you are listening, Chuck - let me encourage you to try to recreate your
experiment while documenting the power-in and temperature rise in the
liquid, as you did before but using datalogging and better technique.
Serendipity lives! You could have stumbled onto something.

The borax could be a key in the context of the coin operating as a spillover
catalyst, but with hydrogen as opposed to deuterium. The reason that I
mention "without deuterium" is that boron-10 has always been assumed to be
the active nuclear species in boron, due to its extraordinary neutron
cross-section. There would be no neutron here, unless it is "virtual".

Boron-11 has a tiny neutron cross-section; instead, it is neutron heavy,
which could indicate some degree of Coulomb shielding for an approaching
proton. However, that reaction would not account for the anode heat - as it
would be deposited in the liquid if the boron was the locus.

So the further advice for a better technique is to position one thermocouple
on the anode, and another in the electrolyte, in order to determine exactly
where the excess heat is occurring, if you can reproduce the effect.

... but cough, cough: "If I had a nickel for every time"...

Jones