Eric, are  you referring to my experience of today?  Briefly, I was impatient
and wanted to try something just for kicks so I got table salt and dissolved it
in water.  I used gator clips to hold two nickels in the brime and connected a
DC supply.  I had approximately 2 amps flowing with 7 or 8 volts applied and
the nickel connected to the positive terminal of my supply dissolved into the
water.  A penny followed it into oblivion.  The nickel connected to the
negative supply terminal only had its surface tarnished but not damaged
significantly.  It was fun, but not exactly what I had in mind!

The signal did fluctuate as material tended to cling to the nickel surface and
block the flow.  I was left with a nasty greenish colored precipitate.  The
nickel connected to the negative supply terminal remained relatively constant.

Things became much better behaved when I replaced the salt with borax in a
second test.  I did see a flaky green material coat the underwater region of
the second nickel that was connected to the positive terminal of the supply.
This happened initially, but later only a dark deposit of some type remained
after a couple of hours of current.  I had the thought that some of the copper
was taken away due to the green color of the dangling goop, so I am now
reversing that coin supply in an attempt to load the possible new holes with
hydrogen.  This is just a wild attempt to see something new and if anything
shows up I will be amazed.

Dave