From: Horace Heffner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 3:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: New light on LENR

Earlier I wrote with regard to the Letts-Cravens experiment: "Also of
interest is the fact that the target itself may be sensitive to the
polarization direction of the beam, irrespective of the direction of the
magnetic field placed across it in a radial direction.  There are thus
three things that should be mutally rotated with respect to each other, the
magnets, the polarization direction, and the target itself, the crystaline
structure of which may have polarising characteristics which may or may not
be affected by an imposed magnetic field. The magnetic field could possibly
be irrelevant. Alternatively, its effect might be primarily on the
structure of the loaded lattice and not directly on the LENR process
itself.  For maximum effect, the lattice and magnetic field may have to be
at a specific angle in addition to the polarization having a specific angle
to those things."

I would like to further expand on the above by saying that the direction
and strength of the magnetic field at the time of surface deposition may be
important, especially in the case of codeposition.  Codeposition, the
laying down of metal on the cathode along with the adsorbtion of hydrogen,
in a sense, happens in all electrolysis, whether by design or not.  A layer
of *some* kind of material is always deposited on the cathode as
electrolysis prodceeds.  No electrolytic cell or anode is perfectly clean.
The longer the electrolysis runs, the more the cathodic surface is changed.
This was well known early on. For example, there was much discussion
regarding the effect of dendrite formation on the cathode surface.  Also
noted was the fact that heat events seemed to occur at seemingly random
durations following full loading.  It was thus well known that the degree
of loading was not the only important variable. There was debate as to
whether CF was a surface or volume event, or even a volume event triggered
by surface interactions and geometry. The then (and even now?) popular use
of platinum anodes may have further complicated and cloaked the importance,
nature and effects of the cathode surface fabrication during electrolysis.
It has been sometimes noted, however, that used or "pre-conditioned"
cathodes seem to be effective more quickly than new cathodes.  It is
possibly ironic that electrochemists sometimes went to extremes (though not
extreme for electrochemists) in preparing clean cathodes by cleaning with
solvents, acids, and then further cleaning the electrodes by using them as
anodes in clean electrolytic cells prior to use in experiments.

The role of a magnetic field may be important in the construction (and
maintenance throughout the period of electrolysis) of a specific polarized
cathode lattice structure or surface structure.  A powerful magnetic field
may play a useful role in building the right lattice structures and yet not
be significantly involved in the LENR transactions themselves.  Simply
experimenting with the nearly instantaneous mutual angles and orientations
of laser beam polarization, cathode, and magnetic field is not enough.  The
effect of magnetic field through time, especially during cathode
preparation, may be important.

It is also unfortunately true that a magnetic field, through polarization
of the cathode surface, could thereby be involved in causing erroneous
calorimetry.  For this reason the use of improved calorimetry, especially
dual calorimetric methods, is clearly indicated.

Regards,

Horace Heffner