Jones Beene <[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Fred,
>
> > What's causing the vapor pressure of Dry or Water Ice at
> those low temperatures?
>
> Beta-aether

Either that or 3 K radiation.

> > http://radio.weblogs.com/0101365/2003/09/04.html
> > "According to the above chart, carbon dioxide of
> about -122°C will have a vapor pressure of 7.5 mmHg, so the
> solid carbon dioxide that is vaporizing near the south pole
> should be at a temperature slightly greater than -122°C,
> not -159°C as previously stated."
>
> > Do humming birds carry ice packs, Jones?   :-)
>
> No, but they could possibly be exploiting beta-aether
> (Casimir) effects  ;-}

Through CO2 or H2O in their systems?

> If one could get any huge amount of inert material into
> earth orbit easily, or collect it over time in low earth
> orbit (IOW "harvest" it with drone satellites over months or
> years) , then perhaps you would not use simple vapor
> pressure and solar as your ultimate means of propulsion.
> Besides you would be harvesting lots of H2 and ozone anyway,
> which is not inert. So I cannot see the usefulness of what
> you are proposing

At 200 Joule/gram sublimation energy a square meter surface of Dry Ice in
space
kicks off 6.5 grams of CO2 molecules per second at a velocity of about 325
meters
per second at 1.3 KW/meter^2 solar or CF photon insolation.That translates
a significant Specific Impulse (isp). Water Ice sublimation gives much less
isp due to
the higher sublimation energy requirement and lower molecular weight..

Frederick