At 03:26 pm 19-01-05 -0500, you wrote:

>MC: In my metaphor about regarding EM radiation as a liquid or gas getting
>out of a box, that was a simple way of saying that any discontinuity in the
>shielding of a Faraday cage can function as an antenna and allow some slight
>radiation to escape. It takes real know-how to control this if you are
>serious about it.

That reminds me of a time I said to my son that if I put his small
transistor radio in 12x6x6 inches soldered tin box the radio waves wouldn't
get in.

I put in the radio to demonstrate the Faraday Cage effect but to my disgust
the radio sounded as loud as ever. In fact the 12x6 lid, which had folded
edges soldered at the corners, was a close fit but not air tight.
Presumably the long cracks were sufficient to allow penetration of the
AM signal.

Grimer