Keith Nagel wrote:

> Hey Fred,
>
> I'm curious how they explain the functioning of the self exciting
> homopolar generator, N. Tesla (1891). Where are the translating
> current loops?

Googling "Guala-Valverde" brings up a lot of related stuff, Keith.

Eddys?

Frederick

> K.

http://www.maxwellsociety.net/PhysicsCorner/CurrentLoopPolarization/ElectroA
ndPermanentMagnets.html

> "It has been quantitatively demonstrated that the net charge density is
not everywhere zero when the current loop of Sect. 1
> translates along a line in its plane. Indeed a simple proof qualitatively
indicates that uncharged current loops are electrically
> polarized when they translate. At any given moment the translating loop
has an excess of positive or negative charge on one "side,"
> and an excess of negative or positive charge on the other. In brief, the
translating loop has an electric dipole moment (as well as
> a magnetic moment), and consequently there is a nonzero electric field."
> "This effect is only present when the loop translates. It is not present
when the loop merely spins."
> Frederick
>
> More:

http://www.maxwellsociety.net/PhysicsCorner/Electrodynamics/GualaValverde%20