Jed wrote:
<snip>. . .

Most people throughout most history have been rational and reasonable. Not
ideal, but good enough. If that were not true our species would have gone
extinct long ago. We are social animals -- pack hunting carnivores, like
wolves. Such animals must to cooperate and protect other members of the
pack, or they do not survive. We are only in danger now because our
technology has increased our power. But our power has often escalated in the
past, and we have usually survived these escalations. As shown in Jared
Diamond's book "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed," even
primitive people had the power to destroy themselves. Occasionally they did
destroy themselves, but more often they survived.

MC: I don't know of Jed has read Diamond's book: I recommended it the other
day. It is easy to see China as a looming threat, as the USSR seemed during
the cold way. Diamond characterizes it as a "lurching giant", not a s drunk,
but because of its size and highly centralized government, changes in
drection move a lot of 'mass'. As with the USSR, internal problems
eventually made it weaker than it looked, and it may be so with China as
well. This cnetralized government both enabled the early growth of
technology long before Europe, enabled the buildingof a great fleet of
exploration in the 1400s [which mapped the world and discovered the Americas
and Antartica] and also led to the collapse of that expansion and a turn
inward that lasted for centuries.

MC: Of course they will set up their own network of oil sources, as does the
US. They are buying massive amounts of stuff from the US in building their
infrastructure -- this is good for Amaerican jobs and business, isn't it?
Reduces the trade deficit? Or are we becoming a colony, exporting our
mineral and agricultural resources while buying manufactured goods from
others? If we 'gave this away' it is the fault of every consumer who bought
for the lowest price, and of workers who demanded ever higher wages and
benefits. Or blame the Wright Brothers and Fulton, whose inventions in
transport made a global economy possible.

Mike Carrell