----- Original Message -----
From: "Frederick Sparber"

Yes. That Microwave lawnmower thing brings up some
memories...
Did Bill B finally determine that there was nothing to it at
all?

Indeed, microwaves would be the preferred method of
decomposition of NOx, and is why I added "RF" to the
previous speculation, but I can find no reference to this
actually working in practice, whereas many NOx fuel/energy
carriers are definitely subject to rapid
photo-decomposition.

Anyway, the whole thing which is radically different here is
in combining what is technically a *split Carnot* situation
into a *boosted Carnot* situation. With a cryo-liquid fuel,
as occurs in the  *split Carnot* situation  such as with LN,
where the compression losses take place under controlled and
minimized conditions when the fuel is manufactured, not when
it is used...  therefore the expansion half-cycle itself is
extremely efficient (at least double).

But we are suggesting going a step beyond. ... instead of
that split-situation, we now have a boosted split cycle
situation where the fuel itself contains some chemical
energy, and this can push the "effective" Carnot efficiency
as seen at the final stage near 100% - the "effective" part
being that we are referring only that part of the cycle
which is witnessed in the vehicle itself, and not the total
system.  IOW most of the energy content of the fuel itself
can be used, as compared to 20-25% with gasoline - because
this _usage-half-cycle_ is balanced out by the manufacturing
process half-cycle, where losses are elsewhere and are
provided by off-peak nuclear or wind energy.

The "manufacture" part of the  *split Carnot* situation  is
ALL loss; so the net efficiency of this situations not that
unusual - at most 40% efficiency - but from the perspective
of the driver, in being able to use a much smaller and
**uncooled** engine, especially in a hybrid, which provides
its own air conditioning as well, the advantages are
multiplied ever further. If you have improved batteries and
a small uncooled 2-cycle engine (weighing 50 pounds even
with the generator) to keep the batteries trickle charged,
then this can be a very lightweight long range vehicle...
EXCEPT...it would require a fair amount of cryo-liquid in an
insulated tank. (and does not make much sense for Alaska
where you need the excess heat, nor where non-CO2 night-time
energy is not available).

Again, it would make zero sense unless the electricity used
to manufacture the nitrous-based cryo-mix is off-peak
energy - coming from nuclear/wind and preformed when it
would otherwise be wasted (which is what off-peak refers
to).

However, another thought.

The engine at this stage, probably benefits greatly from a
small boost of adding a liquid carbon fuel into the mix
(butane, or methane). This can be done at little risk of
explosion as there is no volatility problem at minus 50-150
or so. But... I am wondering about eliminating all carbon.
H2 cannot be added as it liquefies at too low a temp, and
would be an explosion risk. Are there non-carbon
alternatives?

How stable would ammonia or a like-compound be... or should
I ask, is there any ammonia-based liquids which are stable
in liquid nitrous oxide at say minus 50 degrees, and not a
great risk in the event of an accident? We probably need to
have single liquid fuel/oxidizer mix instead of two separate
tanks, for a variety of reasons.

Jones