----- Original Message -----

> Perhaps you have followed Chaplin's link to Glastonbury
and
> the mystical significance of that weird Vesica Pisces

And way beyond there, Frank ....

And speaking of religious symbolism, there are a few
observers not necessarily from the New Age, who imagine that
many features of reality could be loose (or not so loose)
metaphors - encoded by either the light-side or the
dark-side (trickster) to awaken certain seers, as group
consciousness evolves. Perhaps they are just meme-splices.
Anyway, this persistent imagery was undoubtedly part of the
attraction of  "The Da Vinci Code"...  Movie forthcoming,
starring Tom Hanks. It will be a blockbuster, for sure. Book
is addictive for the first 200 pages but on re-read it is
almost silly in its use of contrived coincidence and
layered, plagiarized BS. This is the kind of novel that
always makes you feel violated and manipulated, perhaps
months after reading (but definitely enjoying the first
read) .... later realizing what ridiculous liberties were
taken, at the expense of some fairly crass entertainment.

Nevertheless, I wish I had thought of it first, after
reading  Michael Baigent's "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" ( with
Henry Lincoln &Richard Leigh) many years ago, which is
essentially what Dan Brown did. His other novels range from
poor to terrible. He is probably one of the luckiest writers
alive today IMO, in the sense of going so far on so little
talent. And yet, this assessment does not mean that I didn't
enjoy the first read and even recommend it to others. ...and
will probably see the movie many times, if it is decent.

In December, the National Geographic channel carried a
special about the (borrowed) contention in DVC that Mary
Magdalene was really the wife of Jesus. Brown mentions the
Vesica and the more common symbol for Jesus, which appears
in icon form on millions of bumpers across middle America as
a fish shape, and in other less-proselytizing parts of the
US as a fish with legs, and a Darwinian smirk. The shape (at
90 degree rotation) is obviously reminiscent of female
genitalia, and that is what seems always to be glossed over
in these accounts of its popularity as a symbol.

If you turn the fish symbol for Christ on its side you
essentially have a Vesica Pisces - it is a part of Sacred
Geometry, but not any more so than many other shapes and
ratios - BTW the fourth image here is interesting for its OU
imagery, perhaps:
http://www.crystalinks.com/sg.html

Biblical Scholars say there is little justification in most
of the DVC claims, especially in Dan Brown's not-so-tacit
conclusion that Mary Magdalene was really the wife of a
less-than-divine Jesus, had a child by him and their
descendants walk among us today.  What else do you expect
them to say? According to Brown's (plagiaristic) accounting
of Baigent et al., the truth was suppressed by the Catholic
Church, except in its strange worship of the other Mary (for
which there is a total of about three sentences in the NT to
justify this) but handed down through centuries by a secret
society, the Piory of Sion, that included Leonardo da Vinci,
and about every other famous European.

In the National Geographic Channel documentary, "Unlocking
Da Vinci's Code: The Full Story," the surprisingly reclusive
author talks about "his" controversial theory... hey, give
us a break, Dan, its NOT yours except in your wildest
dreams.  He says "I began as a skeptic".....Riiiiight, and I
began as a single cell, so what? Within microseconds, we
were both on our way to gobbling up whatever resources were
available, and you kept right on going. He continues, "As I
started researching The Da Vinci Code, I really thought I
would disprove a lot of this theory about Mary Magdalene and
holy blood and all of that. I became a believer." - it
should be added, "a believer without giving much credit to
his sources." which maybe OK on the internet but not when
you are hauling in $50 million bucks based on capitalizing
on someone else's sensationalism. I expect either some
lawsuits out of this, or at least some under-the-table
payoffs by the film companies, probably already taken care
of.

Many experts concede that the Church suppressed many early
Christian writings that may have differed from the official
version of events described in the highly edited Bible we
have now. They also contend that Mary Magdalene, while not
married to Jesus, was probably a lot closer than the Church
is comfotable with. Were not the apostles driven into a
jealous rage when Jesus kissed her on the lips? Surprised
that one got through. Back then, that kiss meant one heck of
a lot more than it does today. She has been depicted as a
prostitute, though there is no evidence in the Bible for
that - and it is probably part of the internecine politics
of making the other Mary, the chosen and official "Pagan
Goddess" substitue, that is into the Queen-Being, as it
were. Hey, this is as natural and magical as birth itself -
that humans personify the Feminine role in procreation as
Divine... look at the semi-worship of a more recent Diana.
It didn't come out of nowhere.

While it would have been unusual for a Jewish man like Jesus
not to have been married, it was not unheard of among the
celibate sects, like the Essenes.... who could, by the way
enjoy sex and procreation, but could not marry per se (much
like the early Catholic priests). The Essene archaelogical
sites show evidence of women being present and children
being raised in commune style, not unklike the present day
kibbutz. Probably the origin of the famous quip, "why buy
the cow when the milk's free?"

One of Brown's sources is a controversial text known as the
Gospel of Mary, the veracity and importance of which are
very much up for debate. I'm sure many men who still dress
like women in robes to make their gender more ambiguous,
especially in Rome, have an intense fear of an upcoming
"outing" such that newer Dead Sea Scrools could one day turn
up an authentic version of the Gospel of Mary, one that they
cannot ferret away into the catacombs fast enough.

Every real scholar agrees that a power struggle raged within
the early Christian church for 400 years of more, especially
over the role of women... and that our present Bible is far
from the word of God in places (although about half of it
has proven historically accurate - the half they wanted to
keep in). Not that things have changed that much in the
intervening time.

And BTW, all of this historical controversy should NOT in
any way alter or challenge the spirituality of any believer,
especially Catholic. If one has not already managed to
completely divorce the *true* from the *historically
accurate* then your spirituality will someday crumble on its
own, or be reinforced once you reach a broader Noetic
maturity.

Jones

Two congregants considering a religious vocation were having
a conversation. "What is similar about the Jesuit and
Dominican Orders? " one asked.

The other replied, "Well, they were both founded by
Spaniards -- St. Dominic for the Dominicans, and St.
Ignatius of Loyola for the Jesuits. They were also both
founded to combat heresy -- the Dominicans to fight the
Albigensians, and the Jesuits to fight the Protestants."

"What is different about the Jesuit and Dominican Orders?"

"Met any Albigensians lately?"