Jeff  writes:

> It's not vaporized batteries we need to worry about, it is the power grid
> and generating stations. The combined output of all of our automotive
> engines may be more than the combined output of all our generating
> facilities.

It is much more than all of our generating facilities, but this is irrelevant.
Automobile engines are only used for an hour or less per day, and most of the
time they run at a small fraction of maximum output capacity (around ~10%). If
you floored a 250 HP car and kept it floored, you would hit race-track speed in
less than a minute. You would be going 150 to 200 MPH. Even on the highway you
seldom need more than 40 HP. Furthermore, electric cars use two or three times
less energy than ICE only (non-hybrid) automobiles.

I know what I am talking about here. I am one of the few people who as actually
floored the accelerator on the open highway, and left the pedal on the metal
for 10 minutes or more. My 40 HP Geo Metro will hit 65 MHP on a level stretch!
Even more going downhill.

> We can't replace the nations automotive power by tapping our
> electric supply.  We simply don't have enough.

We have more than enough, especially at night. Of course this would use up more
fuel, or wind, as the case may be. But generating capacity would not be a
problem. I do not think the power distribution network would need to be
expanded much, either, except possibly along large highways.

Electric vehicles are probably much more practical than people realize. Even
the experts are wrong. They keep asking the public "would you be willing to
drive an electric car with only a 100 mile range." Most people say no, so the
auto companies have never offered one. Most people have no idea what would
satify their needs, or how they might organize their lives around a new
technology. A 100 mile range might be a problem for a few people, but once you
learned to live with it, most people would hardly notice. They do not realize
that an electric car sitting in traffic not moving uses no power (except for
air conditioning.) Suppose in 1985 you were to ask people in charge of churches
or the PTA: "would you be willing to purchase a computer for $1,500 knowing it
fail at any moment erase all of your correspondence and your PTA financial
records in an instant?" They would all say no. They would say that's a
ridiculous amount of money -- we only collect $3,000 in dues per year. Y!
 et within a few years all churches, clubs, PTAs and other organizations had
computers. People came to understand the benefits. Most people learned how deal
with computers, and how to back up the data. (Although the Atlanta office of
Planned Parenthood -- I think it was -- recently lost all of its records when a
single computer crashed.) If electric vehicles become available at a reasonable
price, people would soon learn how to use them and how to live with the
limitations of the present lead-acid battery technology.