--- "Stephen A. Lawrence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Fabulous!
>
> I've been saying for years (mostly to my
> long-suffering family) that the
> biggest thing wrong with the way our petroleum
> policy is run in this
> country is that there should be a federal gasoline
> tax which keeps the
> price per gallon in the $3 to $5 range, at a
> minimum.

This is the stupidest thing I have heard in a while.
Force the gas prices to be that high? How much do you
make a year? Have any idea how this will affect the
masses out there who make very little a year (while
working their asses off for what they get) and barely
get by now? If they cannot get to work, they will have
no money. If they have no money to spend and do not do
a job, that money no longer works with the economy and
that job is gone. This is a real good plan to screw
things up worse than they already are. If you want to
pay that, then go ahead.

Not to mention that most people cannot afford a Prius
in any case. They are not cheap. What the federal
government should do if they really want to cut the
consumption of fossil fuels is to put in place a
program to produce cheap small hybrids. A Prius does
not qualify for cheap. Yes, you might have to leave
out a few bullshit luxuries. Sorry folks, you have to
get off your duff and crank the windows down and
forget the power locks too. No fancy Bose sound
systems either. Just a bare-bones cheap hybrid car. If
you want to spend the money and upgrade to a better
one with the frills, be my guest. But make it a
requirement that something be available for those of
us who cannot afford all that crap. Truly a "people's
car."

If I had or could afford a Prius, I would probably get
one to save money and know I am doing something good
for the environment. I would also destroy the plastic
body on it, make my own that doesn't look dog-ugly,
and register it as a custom vehicle. But since I
cannot afford such things, I will continue to drive
V-6's and V-8's which are much more economically
feasible to maintain in my income range.

--Kyle