Why not just dispense with the ramps altogether, and instead mount the "ball" on the rim of a bicycle-size wheel- using the smoothest bearings you can find, and very lightweight construction?  That way the "return" is free, with less friction than you've got now;  just position the magnets along the rim's path, and  we could settle this close-the-loop question in short order.

Prometheus Effect wrote: