> From: "Jones Beene"

> From other posts on Slashdot: "The idea of storing
> and transmitting information via DNA was also
> proposed by Jaron Lanier in the Y2K issue of the
> NYT magazine. The NYT was running a contest to come
> up with a "time capsule" that would last till Y3K
> and asked various prominent scientists, architects
> etc. how they would make something that would last
> and would be easily found by future generations.
> Lanier proposed encoding a message in the DNA
> of cockroaches and then letting them reproduce
> naturally in the wild. In a thousand years they'd be
> everywhere! (His idea didn't win, a more
> conventional capsule with physical records was
selected). Also in various science fiction books
> (Greg Bear) messages were encoded in people's DNA.

Mr Lanier chose the wrong species!

When we get a little better at mapping our human genomes we may ultimately find
embedded somewhere within those strands the following data:

Property of: xxx, All rights reserved.
Version Number: xxx
Last Version Upgrade Date: xxx

Wouldn't that be a hoot. It will probably get classified and never see the
light of day.

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson

...and speaking of ORION...