Zell sez:

> I understand that African cheetahs are anomalous, being nearly natural
> clones of each other, genetically.  Makes you wonder how
> stuff really got here.

Regarding cheetahs, I've heard scientific speculation that the reason their
genetic pool is so unusually narrow (clone-like in nature) was due to the
suspicion that this beautiful species may have been nearly wiped off the face
of the Serengeti planes many thousands of years ago. A break in the food chain.
Mass starvation. Bad weather. Who knows. Perhaps by the grace of god a tiny
band of these hearty creatures managed to survive and pass on what little
genetic variation left to their progeny. Regarding the "grace of god" term, I
speak figuratively here. ;-)

On a more speculative and controversial note, one that certainly is NOT
scientifically endorsed by the current political climate, some have speculated
that cheetahs may have come into existence through a deliberately controlled
breeding program, perhaps engineered by an ancient civilization  - most likely
Egyptian in nature.

Regardless, both theories are intriguing.

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrinWorks.com