----- Original Message ----- From: "Terry Blanton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:53 PM
Subject: NOLA Catch-22

Sorry I don't have the refs handy but from what I can determine:

1) The Corps of Engineers say that, with all pumps running (and the levee's patched), they can pump 1 inch out of the NOLA bowl in 44 hours. They say that it will take 9 weeks to take the water out.

2) The power company says that they can restore the grid in 4 to 5 weeks after the water is removed.

But, as others have stated, the pumps run on electricity.

We will eventually abandon most of New Orleans later this Century. Global warming will ensure that the sea retakes New Orleans either by more power storms or rising sea levels or both. This is the first shot against New Orleans. I guess the city on higher ground will survive, but in the long run the lower lying parts od NOLA will probably be returned to its owner (nature).