-0600:
Hi,
[snip]
>Space Elevator Concept Undergoes “Reel” World Testing
>By Leonard David
>Senior Space Writer
>posted: 23 September 2005
>2:33 p.m. ET
[snip]
This is pointless as long as there are no known materials with
sufficient strength to do the job (or even come anywhere near).
When the best we have only reaches 3-400 km, and needs to go 36000
km, we are still a long way short of the mark.

Furthermore, at normal atomic separation distances, the bond
energy would have to exceed that of any known chemical bond by
about a factor of 10 to make it possible, which is almost out of
the question. The only real hope would lie in a dense, light,
strong, hydrino compound.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

In a town full of candlestick makers,