OrionWorks wrote:

I think it has even been claimed that supplying the "feedstock" market might even be more lucerative than selling oil just to burn it.

I believe it is, because there is value added to the chemicals. (I should mention that in chapter 13.)

However, I recall that Mr. Rothwell did an impressive job of discounting this sceneario, based on the premice that if CF really did become an economic reality there would be no need to pump the gunk out of holes.

See chapter 13 and the fascinating conversation Hal Puthoff had with top oil company executives.

Actually, I predict that with CF, while we could synthesize hydrocarbon feedstocks out of air and water, but we will probably use thermal depolymerization plants instead. They have already been invented, and they have the added advantage of reducing solid waste and water pollution. In fact they may already be cost-effective when you account for reduced pollution. See footnote 110.

We may decide to synthesize vast amounts of hydrocarbons from air and water in order to reduce the threat of global warming, but that would be another story. See chapter 9.