On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Zell, Chris wrote:

> Does anyone see anything DRAMATICALLY WRONG with this event?  They
> describe the discovery as "bloody obvious" and say that they were
> "shunned" and labeled as "eccentric".  More than that, decades of
> "modern medicine"  fail to correctly identify the simple cause of a
> painful and debilitating condition.

The inventors of the Scanning Tunneling Microscope reported the same thing
(see below.)

What's MUCH MORE scary is the fact that the large number of these events
remain unknown to the scientific community.  Ask researchers, and a few
will be able to come up with the ridicule of Seimmelweis and sterile hands
during surgery, or perhaps the ridicule of Weltner and Plate Tectonics.
We're not taught about all the others.

For example, Black Holes were invented in 1930 by theorist S. Chandra, but
he was ridiculed into silence (with Eddington leading the sneers,) and
Chandra was essentially hounded out of his position, having to move to the
U. of Chicago.  It put theoretical astronomy 30 years backwards from where
it could be today (since black hole theory was only "rediscovered" in
1960, thirty years after being crushed.)

We all grew up with the "Black hole" idea, they are in science books
everywhere, and have entered pop-culture.  Some physicists have even rode
the path to fame and popularity by explaining the details to the public.
But have you ever heard ANY mention that they were discovered 30 years
early, and their discoverer was essentially silenced by a crowd of angry
hostile British astronomers?

And that's just one event.  There are dozens of equally significant
examples, and vast numbers of less important ones.

> If this sort of thing can 'get by'  the supposed experts for huge
> periods of time, WHAT ELSE could we be missing ESPECIALLY in scientific
> fields that

Here's a scary thought from W. I. Beveridge, author of The Art of
Scientific Investigation:

  Many discoveries must have been stillborn or smothered at birth.
  We know only those which survived.

I started compiling a list, see below.  Another scary thought: there
should be numerous versions of this sort of list in science history books,
or at least all over the internet.  But there aren't any.  Rather than
being common and well known because they're important, instead these facts
are embarassing, so nobody except weirdos like me ever mentions their
existence.

   Ridiculed, vindicated scientific discoveries
   http://amasci.com/weird/vindac.html

There are VERY few books about this topic.  Here are a few I've found:

   http://amasci.com/freenrg/clbooks.html#eight

> I conclude that we - our culture of technology - could be dead wrong
> about an astounding number of things - given that it takes us decades of
> struggle even to recognize "bloody obvious" cures.

Exactly!  That's why we're here.  If the scientific mythology was correct,
then our hobby would be hopeless, and there would BE no vast unknown for
amateurs to explore, and only professionals with major funding would have
any chance of uncovering interesting stuff.

I think we have "Emperor's clothes effect" to thank.  All the experts
become blinded by beliefs and by misguided education, while a little kid
is the only one who explores the secret unspoken concept that becomes so
obvious in hindsight, after the little kid has pointed it out to everyone.
One would think that the "Emperor's" advisers would be the ones most
concious of his nakedness.   But instead it's the outsiders who aren't
infected with the same blindness.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-789-0775    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci