CB Sites wrote:

Wow,  Replication fails.   They had the "dog bone" so hot the steel stand
holding it was white hot.  But power in was equal to power out.   No radiation.

My take on it was that the MFMP dogbone may suffer from a bad design choice,
more so than from a leak.

The design choice was to use kanthal resistance wire. Kanthal is composed of
iron-chromium-aluminum  (FeCrAl) wire alloys in various proportions. There is
NO nickel in Kanthal.

Parkhomov use nichrome resistance wire. Typically 80% of nichrome can be
nickel. Inconel used by Rossi is also high in nickel.

If nickel is active in this reactor, then the wire itself can contain many
times more net nickel than the actual fuel - which is less than a gram. If
there is 100 grams of nichrome wire in the design, then there can be 80 grams
of nickel but of course it is not in contact with H2 at first. Hydrogen will
diffuse slowly through sintered alumina as it is 7-9% porosity  - but it will
diffuse. It will diffuse at high temperature more rapidly. As noted in earlier
posts H2 will not diffuse through fused alumina, which has no porosity but the
tube is not fused.

Thus the characteristic time delay for excess hear - as H2 is slowly diffusing
over hours until it makes contact with the nickel in the wire – and this
happens EXACTLY where we expect that SPP will be forming – the interface of the
wire and the dielectric.

Jones