Fantastic!  I’m really stoked to hear of your progress.  I think your powder 
recipe sounds very interesting, and I would love to know more about the details 
of the reactants.  It sounds like you’ve come up with a mixture which may 
contain one or more key ingredients not yet identified as being of primary 
significance to the high-gain modes of these systems.  


If I may fire away:

What size Fe2O3 and TiH2 grains were present?  

Is this mixture generally not hygroscopic, and therefore is curing the 
reactor’s sealant a simple matter as compared to LAH?
Are you tumbling or milling these reactants, or performing any other notable 
processing steps, prior to putting them into the reactors?


Thanks for sharing, and keep up the great work!





From: Jack Cole [mailto:jcol...@gmail.com] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 1:08 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:melted alumina tube




The input power was ~260W.  I don't know what the R value of the insulation is. 
 I had the cell surrounded by high purity alumina powder and covered with a 
thin sheet of ceramic insulation.  I used standard 120V AC 60hz with a triac 
type dimmer switch (chops the waves starting at V=0).  I'll have to check with 
the manufacturer to see what the remaining 5% of the tube is.  The heating 
element was Kanthal A1.  It's strange that the heating element was able to 
completely melt at points.  In the past, it has always failed before melting.


I was using INCO type 255 nickel, TiH2, LiOh, KOH, aluminum powder, and Fe2O3.  
Good idea on the small amount of fuel which should cause some localized melting.


The fact that the fuel was a small diameter cylinder seems to suggest that it 
was fully expanded in the tube and shrunk down.





On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Bob Cook <frobertc...@hotmail.com 
<mailto:frobertc...@hotmail.com> > wrote:



It looks like you had a pretty good reaction.  


What was the input power?  What is the R value of the insulation on the outside 
of the electric coils?  What was the nature of the electrical input--frequency 
etc?  And what is the electrical heating element material?   If you have an 
acetylene torch, see if you can melt a piece of the tube that melted.    


The tube may have had glass fibers incorporated in order to improve strength.  
You indicated it was 95% pure.  What was the other 5%?  


What was you fuel mixture?  You may want to try a small fuel loading and see if 
the same intense reaction happens--all else the same.  


Try the test with a iron core instead of a fuel load and determine if there is 
an apparent magnetic field which would hold the iron core in position when 
direct current is applied to the heating coil.  An alternating current would of 
course change the magnetic field and may make for null reaction conditions. 


 Try 2 or 3 t/c's if you can--one inside and two outside to get a measure of 
the temperature gradient along the tube.  Also another easy way to determine 
temperatures is the use of thermal sticks on accessible surfaces.  Welders use 
these to determine preheating temperatures.  They may provide a cheap 
temperature measure for you.  


Keep it shielded--good luck.  



----- Original Message ----- 

From: Jack Cole <mailto:jcol...@gmail.com>  

To: vortex-l@eskimo.com <mailto:vortex-l@eskimo.com>  

Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 9:39 AM

Subject: Re: [Vo]:melted alumina tube


To add a couple of more details.  The agglomerated piece of material is 
extremely hard.  I tried to break it off with pliers, but it seemed like it 
would take more force than to break the entire cell.  The resistance wire is 
extremely difficult to separate from the cell. I plan to open the cell with a 
diamond blade later today to see if more can be learned about what took place 
(e.g., evidence of melting on the inside of tube).  I was able to get one piece 
of the resistance wire pried from the tube.  There were indentations in the 


As a follow-up experiment, I need to run it without the fuel to the same power 
levels to see if the same effects occur.


On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Jack Cole <jcol...@gmail.com 
<mailto:jcol...@gmail.com> > wrote:

I had an interesting experiment yesterday.  This was my first time using a 
triac to regulate input power and sealing the tube with a compression fitting.  
Unfortunately, my thermocouple failed.


Take a look at the alumina tube and the evidence for melting.  The furnace 
sealant which I coated it with completely melted and agglomerated to the bottom 
of the cell (also appears to be mixed with melted alumina).




The tube was purchased from China and is purportedly 95% pure.  It was supposed 
to have a continuous operating temperature of 1500C.  


Any opinions?







Reply via email to