first thought, id have to do it to match, but the color of the glow is similar to burning baking soda.  it could simply be the layer on the alluminum valence jumping.

On 12/19/05, William Beaty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

See below!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:35:07 -0600
From: Brian Whatcott <betwys1@>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Electroluminescence Demo

Mix 1 tablespoon baking soda in 1 pint water.
Cut two electrodes from an aluminum pie dish
Place the elctrodes on opposite sides of a jam-jar.

Connect the electrolytic cell in series with a 75 watt lamp
to a 120 volt AC line supply - or better, through a 1:1
isolation transformer.      Care!

The light quickly dims.
In a dark room, the electrodes glow.

See  < http://home.earthlink.net/~lenyr/borax.htm>

What is the mechanism?

Brian Whatcott    Altus OK    Eureka!

--
"Monsieur l'abbĂ©, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write"  Voltaire