<mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> >0.170 ppm. Granted, it is a lot more abundant than copper, nickel, gold or
> >palladium.
>
> At the current rate of World energy usage, and assuming only 33% conversion
> efficiency (i.e. 6 MeV / Li atom), that would last us for 34 million years.

Do you mean that is how long the supply in the ocean would last? That is
not a valid method. As you extract lithium from the ocean and the
concentration goes down, it would get harder and harder to extract more. It
isn't as if you move all the water in world from one bowl to another as you
extract the lithium. I guess you would start to see a decrease after a
million years or so.

By that time, extraterrestrial sources should be available. Heck, I expect
they will be available in a few hundred years, or sooner. I hope that all
extraction and manufacturing moves off-earth, with delivery by space
elevator. Or by anti-gravity flying machines. Something quiet, and much
safer than rockets.