Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

Steven Krivit wrote:

Does anyone know of any other publicly-traded company or subsidiary besides D2Fusion that exists which is exclusively geared toward R&D or commercialization of cold fusion?

No, but I have another question for anyone who can answer it.

On the front page to D2Fusion,

http://www.d2fusion.com/

I noticed that they say of cold fusion that it was:

First discovered in the 1930s then re-discovered and announced in
1989,

Furthermore, in a paper Jed posted a few days back,

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/ArataYdevelopmenb.pdf

there was a reference to a "thermonuclear fusion experiment" in Japan in 1933 which apparently wasn't pursued because they couldn't buy deuterium. Jed said he had no idea what this was in reference to; could it have been connected in some way to whatever the D2Fusion page is referring to?

What, exactly, happened with fusion research, cold or hot, in the 1930's? As far as I knew, fusion research didn't start until much later than that, but these two references seem to suggest that the groundwork for cold fusion was laid at that time. (Has this been discussed on Vortex before? I did a quick lookup on Google for fusion and 1933 without turning up anything interesting, and scanned back over the last couple years of Vortex looking for subjects containing d2fusion and didn't find anything more.)

Fission reactor work started in the 1930's, of course, and the Nazis started working on a nuclear bomb some time in the late 1930's or early 1940's, but aside from the references in that paper and website, I've never heard anything about any kind of actual fusion experiments in the 1930's.

Jed posted an

Thank you,

Steve

OK there was a report in Fusion Facts some time back that the japs may have had a muon fusion program mid war. Muons occur naturally at high altitude and a magnet can be used to focus the muons on deuterium. But you have to do every thing in a high altitude air craft. At the end of the war every thing was ordered destroyed but some parts were buried. The result would be a sustained muon catalyses fusion but we don't know what they planned to do with it. I'll look for the article. Any one want to go on an archaeological expedition looking for a fusion reactor? We live in strange times.

I have heard that there were fusion papers published during the second world war that were specifically written to throw the Germans off the track. At the end of the war the western allies were told it was phoney but no-one told the Spanish or the Argentineans. By the 1970's having spent millons on a dead end fusion program Peron found out. He was furious!