http://www.news.vcu.edu/article/Protecting_Groups_Go_Rogue_in_Aluminum_Superatoms

“This work offers new intuition on what criteria allow the formation of
stable clusters, and how to induce these clusters into becoming effective
catalysts,” said Khanna.

Chemistry works at a higher level than the atom. Stable clusters of atoms
act as if they were new elements. This chemical property of atomic clusters
involve how electrons flow around the cluster of atoms.