Jed,
I would place the primary blame on the school. A technical school and no one there can tell the difference between a clock and a bomb? Really? All the teachers involved must really dumb if they couldn't tell there was no explosive present, even the non technical ones.

I disagree that the journalists are the problem. I have first hand knowledge of DOE and other government organizations and it was the PhD physicists who were the most ignorant and dogmatic when it came to AGW and LENR. The journalists know they don't know and ask an "expert."

It seems to me the upcoming generation lacks technical common sense - something I also blame the educational system and culture for. Doing what authority wants without question is dangerous too. You never know what idiotic scheme they might come up with. It might be lets start another stupid war in the Middle East this time and you must serve. Forget about the US deposing Iran's Prime Minister and inserting a dictator, or Iraq or Libya. The current refugee disaster is almost entirely America's fault. I have no reason to trust authority anymore.
I've just listened to most of the GOP presidential debate.  God help us.